Hi, I am a first time cruiser. We depart from Galveston, TX in May 2009, and are going on the Carnival Ecstasy. There are 9 of us going total, in 3 rooms. I am looking for any tips, information, or anything that could be helpful to us to have the best cruise possible. There are 4 kids ages 11-14. Please help! Please and thanks!
We sailed out of the Port of Galveston on a regular basis…Ecstasy and the Conquest.
– Park at Lighthouse Parking instead of the cruise terminal. You save a few bucks plus the drivers and the other members of your party do not have to separate when the driver parks the car. Make an advance reservation at: http://www.lighthouseparking.org/
– Take along a pair of the two way radios to keep in touch with the kids. You can buy them at Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. You can keep in touch with kids without missing "check-ins".
– Take along plenty of $1, 5 and 10 in US dollars for shopping in port at Cozumel and or Progresso.
– The Ecstasy is a smaller 70 ton ship and I feel more motion on her than the larger ships..recommend taking the non-drowsy Dramamine before the trip starts just in case.
– If your booking shore excursions through Carnival, book early for those in Progresso. They fill up quick. This is a developing port with less things to do than in Cozumel.
– Limit your carry on luggage. Rooms are usually not ready until 1:30 pm or after and you have to manage your carry on luggage with everyone else milling around waiting to get into their rooms as well.
– Take along a power strip..there is usually only one power outlet in the room.
– Take along a night light..rooms are wicked dark
– if you letting the kids stay in a room w/o an adult, go to the purser’s office and get a door only card for this kids room. My teen and tween like to sleep in and it is hard to get them up on port days!
– Have the kids check out the club carnival…my girls come and go if there is something worth while going on.
– Make sure to pack anything you need before midnight in your carry on luggage. It can take several hours to get your checked luggage to your cabin.
Have a good time.